The paint sets the tone in the bedroom. Warm colors for a cocooning atmosphere, pastel shades for gentle Zen awakenings, elegant and soothing white, color to give pep… Characteristics, choice of finishes, here are our tips for choosing the right product.
Acrylic paint or alkyd paint?
There are two main families of paints: acrylic paints and alkyd paints. The criteria making it possible to distinguish them are:
- Hiding power: this is the ability of the paint to cover the surface. It determines the number of layers to apply for a perfect rendering. The covering power depends on the paint, but also on the porosity of the surface to be painted and the hand of the painter. Formerly considered less covering than alkyds, acrylic paints today offer a very good level of coverage.
- Consumption: it depends on the covering power and the possibility of “stretching” a paint. It is found indicated on the pots, in several liters according to the given surface. Caution: Manufacturers tend to be a little optimistic.
- Colors: acrylic or alkyd, the range of colors is very wide. However, not all colors are found in the two paint families. If you want a particular color, check its availability.
- Durability: This is the estimated length of time that the paint will stay intact, despite the sun, humidity, cigarette smoke, or the passage of time. In a protected environment, sustainability has little impact. Conversely, in a difficult environment (wall in direct sunlight, damp room, continuous exposure to sea air, etc.), be sure to choose a paint with high durability. At equivalent quality, and alkyd paint is considered to have better durability than acrylic
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): measured in grams per liter, these paint components can be qualified as residual paint pollution. The higher the VOC rate of paint, the more it pollutes. On this point, alkyd paints perform better than acrylics.
Acrylic: easy to paint
Acrylic paint is part of what is called “water-based paints”.
It is composed of a water base and contains very little solvent. This gives it several advantages: quick-drying, low toxicity, and very little odor. The VOC rate of acrylic paint is low, with 1 g / l for the most ecological paints. Another positive point, it washes off with water and thus facilitates the cleaning of brushes and other tools.
While acrylic paint can cover the walls of any room, it is more suitable for living rooms, such as the living room and bedroom. In wet rooms, with the need to clean the walls (kitchen) and humidity (bathroom), it is better to opt for alkyd paint.
There are now special acrylic paints for kitchens and bathrooms. Their slightly modified composition makes it possible to wash the walls without risk.
Alkyd: the foolproof paint
As easy to apply as glycerol paint and less polluting than acrylic paint, alkyd paint combines the advantages of both types of paint.
This mixed or hybrid paint contains few chemical solvents, its impact on the environment is therefore limited. Much less toxic than glycerol paints, it is also odorless. Easy to apply, alkyd paint is easy to “apply”. Dries in an hour to the touch, it provides a delicate and neat finish. After application, the tools can be cleaned with water.
Alkyd paint is suitable for all rooms. Particularly suitable for bathrooms, it perfectly dresses the walls of the bathroom, if you create one in the bedroom.
Which finish to choose?
The finish of the paint will give relief to the room, a tone, create an atmosphere. Matte, satin, and shiny, it is chosen according to the surfaces and parts to be painted.
THE MATT, SIMPLE AND EFFICIENT FINISH
It puts color in the spotlight for a sober and unadorned rendering. Advantage: it covers the slight defects of the surfaces on which it is applied. Choosing a matte finish limits the work involved in preparing the substrate. It is therefore particularly suitable for painting ceilings. Simple to apply, however, it is less easy to clean than a satin or gloss finish.
THE SATIN, WARM FINISH
Resistant, good longevity, the satin finish can be applied in all rooms. Easy to clean, it is highly recommended for covering the walls of children’s rooms. Its appearance gives the rooms a soft and warm atmosphere. If it hides the irregularities of the walls, it does not completely hide the imperfections and therefore requires good preparation of the support.
THE GLOSSY, RESISTANT, AND ENERGY FINISH
Its shiny appearance brings out the light, gives radiance to the colors, and enlarges the rooms. In return, it accentuates the imperfections and irregularities of the walls. So check that the substrates are perfectly smooth before application. High resistance, cleanable with a simple wipe of a sponge, it is appreciable in water rooms (bathroom, kitchen, toilets).